Jersey County Historical Society
601 N. State Street
Jerseyville, Illinois 62052
618-498-3514

webmaster: Beth McGlasson
webmaster@jerseyusa.net
alfdj
jfjdflj
The one-room school played an integral role in educating children in rural America during
the late 1800s and early 1900s, and Jersey County was certainly no exception. At one time,
more than 70 one-room schools existed in the county, with such interesting names as
Shakerag, Brush College, and Pleasant Grove. For a map of Jersey County's one-room
schools,
click here.

The most unusual, an eight-sided school, was located in northeastern Otter Creek
township. Some claimed the Octagonal School was built that way so it could never be
moved. Others claimed it was built that way so the school could easily be rolled to a new
location.

The creation of the Jersey County Unit 100 school district in 1948 signaled the beginning of
the end for the county's one-room schoolhouses, and the final schools closed in 1956.     
The One-room Schoolhouses of Jersey County
Lone Star School
The Lone Star School in 1918
The school's original writing canvas, which was used before chalkboards became available.
Looking toward the front of teacher's desk
If you would like to purchase a brick and contribute to the preservation of the Lone Star
School,
click here to learn more.

Tours  
To schedule a tour of any or all of our buildings for groups of 10 or more, phone Carol Senger
at 618-498-2811 or 618-639-4749. Smaller groups and individuals can join us at our annual
Apple Festival and tour all our buildings for a nominal fee.
The Lone Star School is an excellent example of the one-room schools that once dotted the
landscape of Jersey County. It was built in 1877 in western Jersey County, near the
junction of Route 16 and Route 100. When the school was closed, the land and building
were purchased by Clifton and Josie Schudel.
The school remained in the
family for three generations,
until
Patsy Schudel Halemeyer,
and her husband, Bill, donated
the school to the historical
society to be enjoyed by future
generations.

The relocation and restoration
of the school began in August
2002. A state grant and the sale
of engraved bricks and stones
helped finance the project.

Many of the bricks and stones
record the locations of the
county's one-room schools and
the names of those who were
part of this chapter of Jersey
County history.
bird