Jersey County Historical Society
601 N. State Street
Jerseyville, Illinois 62052
618-498-3514

webmaster: Beth McGlasson
webmaster@jerseyusa.net
akjfladkjf
fsdlfjdl
The Red House, Jersey County's original frame house, was built in 1827. Both Illinois and
Missouri were in their infancy in terms of statehood, and wilderness lay west of them.
Perched on the edge of civilization was a small settlement that included the Red House
and three log cabins. It was Hickory Grove, the predecessor of Jerseyville.
The Red House/Cheney Mansion
The Red House, as it looked around 1834
The Cheney Mansion in about 1900
The home eventually passed to Prentiss and Catherine. Three generations of Cheneys called
the Red House their home, and it eventually it became known as the Cheney Mansion.

When Prentiss Dana Cheney II, known as P.D., passed away in the late 1960s, the mansion
passed to his third wife and eventually to a distant relative of hers, who put the home up for
auction in 1998.
In 1839, Dr. Edward D'Arcy, who had
served as a physician for George
Washington, once again converted the
tavern to a private residence. D'Arcy
made several additions to the Red
House, including the north wing,
which included a doctor's office and
separate entrance.

D'Arcy and his wife had two
daughters. The elder, Catherine,
married Prentiss Dana Cheney, a
business associate of her father's.

Shortly before the Civil War began, the
two men converted the doctor's office
to a small bank. The Civil War caused
a run on local banks (people feared
Missouri raiders would cross the state
line to rob banks), and several local
banks failed, but the D'Arcy/Cheney
business survived.
Former Jerseyville resident Clayton
Brown and his partner, Richard
McCauley, purchased the home and
donated it to the Jersey County
Historical Society.

Today this historic home serves as the
beautiful cornerstone of the Jersey
County Historical Society's complex.

The Cheney Mansion provides a
beautiful setting for a catered meal for
groups of 10 to 30. The cost is $20 per
person, which includes a tour of our
facilities and your meal.

These fabulous meals are catered by
Marie Kallal, who owned and operated
a restaurant on Third Street in Alton
for nearly 15 years. You may choose
from such scrumptious meals as
strawberry, orange pecan salad with
lasagna or roasted turkey or beef,
mashed potatoes, green beans,
homemade rolls and blackberry or
peach cobbler.

To book a tour for 10 or more people,
call Carol Senger at 618-498-2811 or
618-639-4749.
P.D. Cheney's bedroom
Frame houses were scarce in this part of the
country -- unique enough to be noted in the
diaries of those traveling west -- and the Red
House was an impressive enough example of such
a building. The two-story home contained two
rooms upstairs and two rooms downstairs. The
second story afforded a good view of the
surrounding prairie, making it easier to spot
Indians, some of who were hostile.
In 1830, the home was sold to Alfred Carpenter, who converted it to a tavern, a place where
weary travelers could seek overnight lodging and a warm meal. Over the years, the Red
House served the community well, providing a place to gather and worship, attend school,
vote, and to discuss important issues. It was here, in 1837, that the present name of
Jerseyville was officially adopted in honor of the many citizens who had once called New
Jersey home.
The dining room. Notice the mural of historic sites in Jersey County on the wall in the background.
The music room
The sitting room
ajdflkdsj